Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union

Since the State of the Union address was tonight, I feel an obligation to write. I do this without worrying about entertaining readers and without regard to the potential effects on my future employment. I know a lot of people have been screwed by writing blogs.

Maybe it's my recent absence from the college atmosphere or the beginning of a slow transition to shallow, money-driven corporate pawn, but I felt less intensity by this address than from those in the past. I distinctly remember screaming obscenities at the screen last year. Actually, I think this video was the true catalyst.

My highlights of the address.

1. The radio announcers giving a play-by-play of address. "This is the first of what is sure to be many standing ovations for the President tonight." They then broke down every standing ovation to determine how much support Bush had on that issue.

2. Bush was speaking of curbing genetic research... though no one else has backed me up on this, I distinctly recall him mentioning a "human-animal hybrid". First of all, what exactly does that mean? And secondly, if it is what I think it, why the hell not? Why should man be confined to flying only by machine, holding his breath underwater, and mortality? If anything, Republicans (who are mostly sportsmen) should take this idea and run with it. Man would no longer be the "most dangerous game". Mix man's cunning with the ferocity of a lion, the strength of a gorilla, and the apparent wisdom of the moray eel and you have something far more challenging and dangerous.

3. There was specific mention of researching new battery technology for alternative energy and hybrid-electric vehicles. cha-ching.

All this said, I still hate the Bush Administration with a fiery passion and would love to see him impeached.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, Have you considered an impeached George Bush gives you President Dick Cheney. Be careful what you wish for...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

At least then I could legitimately say "President Dick".

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

We're just trying to have a good time, Narc. Why do you want to destroy us? Hate Crimes!!!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home