Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Stubbornness til Death

So I fell asleep briefly on my first day of class. Doesn't really bode well for the semester...

A funny thing happened on 6th street today... I was driving down the left lane of a two-lane, one-way street and I notice a car driving toward me at a distance. My first thought is "hmm, I thought this was a one-way street", my second thought is "hmm, I know this is a one-way street", and my final thought is "that car isn't going to turn down a side street and continue to come straight at me at a good clip, maybe 40mph". When the car didn't turn on a side street after two opportunities, I honked my horn. No way in hell I was going to switch lanes (I'd have to switch right back afterwards to turn left, and that's way too much work), so our two vehicles continued on a collision course, neither of us willing to admit any. I knew the other car was wrong, and the other driver was sure I was in her lane. It became a game of chicken, in essence. When we got about 100 feet away I chickened out and slowed down, but at the same time maintained lane position. Eventually I came to an almost complete stop and saw the passenger pointing at all the parked cars on both sides of the road facing them. At this point I read the lips of the driver exclaiming, "It's a one-way street?!". The vehicle immediately pulled to a side street and gave way. I feel I've done my civic duty today...

The sad thing is both the other driver and I were willing to push ourselves to the brink of collision before a suitable compromise was decided upon, and I would consider myself a defensive driver. I'm pretty sure both of us just wanted nothing more than to prove our points and teach the other a lesson... Sometimes I think, what would Bubb Rubb do??? Woo Woo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home