Really strange day...
I know I promised more installments about Istanbul, and believe me, they are coming. But sometimes other weird things happen... so in the spirit of blog triage, I'll talk about yesterday first.
As some of you already know, my job changed quite dramatically here in Switzerland. Before I was sitting bored in front of a computer doing CAD drawings, but since I went to Istanbul against the wishes of the company, I was shipped down to the basement for "much worse duties" (a reference to the Simpsons where Homer turns a huge crank while being whipped. The crank rotates a single cupcake in the cafeteria.) My job is to load metal pieces into a welding machine, wait 30-45 seconds, then take the piece out and repeat. Luckily, I realized I can think during that time, and thinking is fun when there are no other options, and so I therefore actually have a really good time doing this. I've also brought in paper so I can write down what I've thought of.
Now, the first weird part. Wolfgang, the boss of the floor, told me he wanted to talk to me a few days ago. Now, I haven't talked to him since before I left the second time for Istanbul, so I was pretty sure this was a chance for him to ream me. Yesterday, he finally came by and was just friendly, asking how things were and what my plans were, pretty standard conversation. Then, the weird part, he offers me a full-time job after I graduate, in Switzerland?! There are at least two things wrong with this. First, I was a less-than-stellar employee and I just left for 10 days. Second, I'm not a Swiss citizen, so it's gotta be difficult to work this out. He assured me the citizenship wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if I'm considering this or not.
The second creepy weird thing happened the middle of the night. I fell asleep with the TV, and I woke up about 3am. What was on the TV, you may ask? Well, it wasn't porn or infomercials (both common here), it was a BBC Learning special called "Introduction to Greek Language and Culture". So, of course, I had to watch. But it's really kind of creepy... Of all the things that could've been on TV at that time, what channel I was tuned to, the time I happened to wake up.
I have never seen such a show anytime in my life... learning Greek? "Come on!"
Me and my sea of welded pieces as I share witty conversation with the cold machine

3 Comments:
You look good...I mean really good. Hey everybody, come see how good he looks!
Oh, stop it Doug! I saw your new facebook picture. In front of that Patrick Engineering car. You looked super classy. See you soon.
(Note to audience, Doug and I have a completely platonic, i.e. nonsexual relationship)
You look so excited, haha :-)
I saw your girl's pic. For some reason I was envisioning a blonde, with the same features as Fleur Delacour (from Harry Potter)She just looks like a brunette version.
Post a Comment
<< Home