Thursday, June 30, 2005

Swiss cowboys

I'm full of meat and beer, and it's raining, so I've got some time to kill before running...

Today was pretty cool, because it was host father Peter's birthday, so we ate some pretty awesome pastries at work and a killer lunch at home, which included Schnitzel. If you know me, you know I'm crazy about Schnitzel. The funny thing about European birthdays is that instead of receiving gifts, you buy stuff for other people. For example, Peter shouldered the burden of buying pastries for the entire floor at work. Outside of work, he actually hopes people won't know. He told me, "I hope no one at the tennis club finds out it's my birthday. If they do, I'll have to buy them all wine. It could get very expensive."

The other reason work was cool is because some guy was retiring, so we got out of work an hour early for a special dinner. The funny thing is that no one likes the guy because he's a tool who brags all the time. For the most part I really couldn't understand what was being said, but what I could tell is that all the laughter was either sarcastic, forced, or just completely laughing at the guy. However, apparently the guy was completely oblivious. Also, another quick note... I was convinced this time I was in Europe that hygeine had improved dramatically in recent years. However, during this retirement party, the body odor was readily noticeable and often overpowering.

Looking ahead to this weekend, I'm excited for another "cultural" experience. By cultural, I mean watching the Swiss people pretend to be American cowboys. I'm going to Interlaken on Saturday for a big country western music festival. Apparently there are ungodly amounts of alcohol and shops for the Swiss country enthusiasts to buy cowboy hats, boots, etc. Thinking I wouldn't be interested, Elvina added that they will be painting a naked girl. I asked for clarification, "will there be a painted naked girl, or are they painting her on-stage." It turns out they are painting her on-stage... Elvina added, "Actually once I felt quite bad for the girl because it was very cold." Hmm...I guess that's the only reason I could feel bad for her too.
So it should be an interesting and hilarious time this weekend, and I'm sure I'll have a few gem stories coming up soon.

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Stephen, hands off my Tennessee sky candy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pohrte said...

Yea, your blog is great...

for me to poop on.

Hahaha, I'm clever. Because I never update because I never do anything exciting.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home