Guantanomo Bay? More Like Guantanomo Gay!
Hey all.
I need to loosen the cobwebs in my brain, so I can actually make a dent in the huge law paper I have due on Friday. I'm having so much trouble concentrating on it, despite the fact that I'm really interested in my topic, "Legality of Detainment". Researching it continues to bolster my anti-Bush administration rhetoric.
Last night I was reading about how we're holding a couple of Australians at Guantanomo Bay. One was captured when we were fighting with the Taliban, another was picked up in Pakistan, where he claims he was finding a school for his children to attend. Both have been held since late 2001, and neither has been afforded anything resembling due process. Australia claims the prisoner captured with the Taliban, David Hicks, must be considered a POW under the laws of the post-WWII Geneva Convention. However, the Bush administration has a very convenient loophole. Apparently, Guantanomo Bay serves as the only "jurisdictional void" on earth. Even though the US has “complete jurisdiction and control” over Guantanomo Bay, Cuba has "ultimate sovereignty", two very conflicting statements that somehow give the U.S. the right to evade international law and avoid giving prisoners the Constitutional rights afforded to U.S. citizens and anyone within the United States.
Anyway, I'm enraged as always, but yet at peace. I wish everyone a wonderful week as it applies, finals or otherwise. Good luck with everything. I'll try to stay updated with this stuff, but it's really busy right now. Hopefully I'll find out I'm going to Germany. If I do, I will surely relay tons of exciting stories to you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home