Legal Analysis Fun
I apologize for not updating lately. But just so you know, all those crazy rumors about my blogging operation going down are completely false. I've been occupied by legal research for a big paper. So I'll tell you about something interesting I learned.
Abraham Lincoln was an asshole...
You probably already know that he suspended "habeas corpus" during the Civil War. What you probably didn't know is that that is a huge asshole thing to do.
To put this into context, habeas corpus is the fundamental concept that the government can't just put you in prison for no reason and not tell anyone about it.
(in the words Shanikwa), Oh no he diddan't jist do dat!!!
It turns out the Constitution forbids that the President order suspension of habeas corpus, so Chief Justice Roger Taney, who provided over the Ex parte Merryman trial, got all passionate about the forefathers and principles of the Constitution and declared Lincoln's actions unconstitutional.
So, Lincoln, perhaps the most revered President because of his high morals and principles, decide to ignore the ruling. What's more is that he demanded a warrant for the arrest of the Chief Justice, but aborted it at the last second.
This one another time he had a prominent Senator arrested for speaking out against the war.
Oh yeah, and he sold poison milk to school childern.
Diagnosis: asshole.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home