Thursday, August 18, 2005

Milling Madness!

The last 2 days have been pretty interesting for me at work. I met with the boss for the last time, much to my surprise, he says I'm "really good" and he would hire me back... but... he took 30% out of my paycheck. This is percentage is more than the actual time I was not present at work and highly arbitrary, so using mathematics I try to convince him of the falsity of his ways in hopes of getting about $500 back. Tomorrow will be the day of truth. Crossing my fingers.

The other news is that my job was switched again. Work is becoming some sort of manual labor fantasy camp. Before I was using the welding machine, which was really cool because it required little movement and no brain power, so I could use all my creative energy for learning Greek and writing the next great American novel.

Now, I've been shipped to "milling". For those of you aren't familiar (and I assume this is a large percentage), my job is to take flat, smooth pieces of steel and mill them, making them slightly flatter and slightly more smooth. Essentially, the before and after picture is the same.
Plus, the machine is in a dark corner away from others (not like they'd talk to me if I was near them), it's extremely messy (I look like a boot black), I'm not able to write or learn Greek (just recite the numbers, alphabet, and phrases to myself over and over again), my fingers hurt (but I won't say anything to avoid pulling landscaping duty), but it sucks so bad that it almost makes it fun (except not).

I come home on Sunday. Down to U of I by Tuesday. Hard to believe.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Two big black greasy thumbs up for milling!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pohrte said...

Sweet. I now make precision pieces on the mills and lathe down here, though I make sweet things like source alignment brackets, beamstops, and electrostatic quadrupoles.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

That's all well and good. But where's the pay grease and dozens of cuts on your hands and metal slivers. And how about the 700 swiss francs that they take out of your paycheck and then refuse to give back, based on a casual conversation where you admitted that you were only working at 70% of max efficiency. But the manager doesn't realize that the productivity of the project is partially his responsibility, and he only checked on you once every 3 days. But he doesn't know how many hours you were there because he didn't issue you a time card, because the internship was too short. In conclusion, give me the money I deserve or I am going to raise hell in Switzerland. No one will be spared.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home