Snow and Ice
First of all I apologize to whatever readers I may have for my delay in posting this blog. I don't want to bore you or waste your time with piddly crap...
How bout that snow, eh? It's funny how thing how some cars are really terrible in snow. My 1996 Nissan Maxima happens to one of them. It's terrible for two reasons. First of all, when I try to stop with my brakes (i.e. not by downshifting), even very gradually, the vehicle will begin rotating (counterclockwise for some reason). This happened to me on Lincoln Avenue... As I stopped for a red light, I began rotating between two other lanes of cars. I would guess that I nearly hit both cars simultaneously, but luckily pulled out of it at the last second.
Some of you might think, "Well, at least you should be able to do some sweet donuts in an abandoned parking lot." It turns out this assumption is also false. I was thinking I could pull off a legendary session in a local parking lot, but somehow I couldn't pull of even a full rotation. Perhaps I need to get into better donut shape, but I think it's just not the right vehicle. 3 rotations before resetting is my general standard.
Now that we've talked about snow, let's move onto the ice. Sorry, you poor drug addicts, not rock cocaine. I'm speaking of frozen water, the kind ice hockey is played on. I went to my first U of I hockey game tonight and learned that I have a lot to learn about being a hockey fan. These people are on a whole 'nother plane that I could only hope of one day reaching. Their wit in putting together insults toward the opposing team is uncanny. For example, they can take virtually any song that could be played by the intercom system and fit the words "You suck!" somewhere in there. Truly a fun experience.
After the hockey game, the group of us went to Brothers, a campus bar. This was the site of phase 2 in my friend Doug's "Celebrate the Art of Dance" seminar. For those of you unfamiliar, and I would assume that to be most of you, the key concept is as follows: When girls go to bars/clubs, they often just go to have fun dancing with one another, not thinking about or even wanting any men to come around them. However, most men go to bars to dance with and/or pick up girls. Doug (not gay) believes in change of this societal norm. He thinks men should be able to go and dance and have a good time without the interference of unwelcome ladies. In his words, "If they come near us, we'll tase them!"
On a more serious note, during my walk home from the bar, I was approached by a homeless man, asking for money. I gave him a few bucks, because I felt so terrible for him wandering around in the cold trying to stay warm. Then, he gave me a hug, and not to pick my pocket believe it or not. If you've never been hugged by a homeless person, you haven't lived, that's all I have to say...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home